Wednesday, April 1, 2009

How Important Is It To You

Below is a great poem written by Linda Ellis. It was shown to me by a friend. It is very similar to a poem of mine, which may be posted soon. I am curious to know if you have read this poem prior to me posting it and your thoughts after reading the poem. The concept behind the title of the poem is the thought behind the name of this Blog. I am currently at a stage in my life where my life's meaning is a hot topic (probably to me only). It wasn't long ago that my biggest decision was STUDY or PARTY. Somehow, I am now concerned with how can I contribute to improving my community. This started before the country got high off of Obama (it has intensified since though).


The Dash
by Linda Ellis

I read of a man who stood to speak
At the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
From the beginning to the end.

He noted that first came the date of her birth
And spoke of the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all
Was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time
That she spent alive on earth
And now only those who loved her
Know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own,
The cars, the house, the cash,
What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard;
Are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left
That can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough
To consider what's true and real
And always try to understand
The way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger
And show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
Like we've never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect
And more often wear a smile,
Remembering that this special dash
Might only last a little while.

So when your eulogy is being read
With your life's actions to rehash
Would you be proud of the things they say
About how you spent your dash?

© 1996 Linda Ellis

3 comments:

  1. This poem (we've discussed it before) makes me think about an assignment I had once to write my own obit. Really puts things in perspective. I think losing a parent as a teenager has helped me realize what is most important to me and why. And the only thing that I truly know for sure is that I'm a work in progress.

    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww you posted the poem. Glad it was helpful. Okay so I want you to Google Saturn Return. You are a little older than the range but some of it may ring a bell of what you have been feeling. This girl put me on to it and it explained so much of what I was going through at the time. That period is when I quit my corporate job, started locking my hair, and decided to find my true purpose. It has been an amazing journey both good and bad since. I feel like I am just now coming out of it. Anyway, if you do the soul searching work it will pay off. I have also met some amazing people along the way. Congrats again on the site and your courage to share your journey with others!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is your perception of lines 15 and 16? Do a recap on your life and take a trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete