Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Daddy's Little Girl

Okay, I must start by saying I am not a Daddy (except to my dogs). However, I do have nieces and a few god-daughters. The relationship with one of my nieces is rather unique. For various reasons there is a great bond between the two of us. She is currently spending her SPRING BREAK (I miss those) with me. Just my luck...her first morning with me she gets some bug. It appears as though it is just one of those 2-3 day stomach bugs. These quickie viruses seem to be more annoying for the care-taker than the bug carrier (at least from my view point).
It is my opinion that many children view non-parents as potential victims; or at least I did. Two of my three nieces (one more than the other) often test how many hoops I'll jump through at their command. I think I'm somewhere on their wrist, not totally in the palm of their hands. As I stated, one niece is currently ill. For the last 24hours she has appeared to be helpless. The first 12hours involved a fever, vomiting, and a lack of energy. This morning I am questioning whether or not she is faking. I am having a difficult time knowing I may be getting punked by an eleven year old. Is this a Man Thing? I'm really asking, please answer. Why are guys so shook when children they're caring for get ill? I've followed Grandma's rules for caring for sick children... you know... rest, ginger ale, and soup. So far, I'm not sure if its been enough.
Something tells me that I'll add to this posting in the upcoming hours. This chapter doesn't feel finished. I almost expect the faker to attempt to convince me that home-made Chicken Noodle soup is the only thing that can help her. Although I have plenty of hair, I don't want to start pulling it out.

5 comments:

  1. I think she does have you in the palm of her hand. Women tend to have that affect on men despite her age. The love you have for her obviously weakens you so its okay to jump at her every command. Faking or not just be there for her. Maybe she is just enjoying that extra attention from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we don't know how to ask for love and affection. Therefore, we might fake incidents in order to get others to give us what we are craving. Teaching communication can go a long way in cutting down on drama. If we could just say, "You know I need a whole lot of hugging, kissing, attention right now. Please allow me this indulgence and I'll reciprocate when you need it." I'm working on that very skill right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, you passed the wrist some time ago. You're definitely in the palm buddy. But I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Sorry I don't have any health tips to give ya (I've yet to care for an ill child...SHUT UP!) but I'll ask Mo for you.

    Above all, don't feel like you're being punked. The love you show that 11 year-old girl makes you anything but a punk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that she is going to feel great by later today.
    The 11yr. old

    ReplyDelete
  5. She does have you in the palm of her hand. Its been like that since day one. She enjoys seeing you jump through hoops and you enjoy seeing her happy. That's the type of relationship that you have with her. She likes to have all of your attention and getting sick put the icing on the cake. She did not want that moment to end. She really loves her "Daddy".

    ReplyDelete